Building an Extention,Loft,Basement is an exciting and rewarding project. For the right property it will represent a sound investment, with the value added to the property exceeding the cost of the works. However, it should not be embarked on lightly and it is worth asking yourself the following questions:
1. Are the planners likely to entertain changes to the appearance of the house
2. If you own a leasehold property, will the freeholder entertain the construction works?
3. Are you prepared for the inconvenience?
4. Is the timescale acceptable?
5. Can you afford it?
Initially, you may wish to consult the relevant parties. Planners will often deal with matters on the telephone and most have a ‘walk in’ facility where you can discuss your project on an informal basis.
Your first contact with Dap Construction Ltd
When we first speak, we will ask you some questions about the property. This will enable us to give you an indication of cost. We will need to know:
1. Where you live and the size and style of the property.
2. What you are hoping to create (usage and size of rooms together with requirements for natural light).
3. What your budget is.
The last question is not leading. We fully expect you to obtain alternative quotations and will be as competitive as we can with our figures. The reason we ask the question is to help you establish if, given the information you provide, your expectations are realistic
Site visit and quotation
We will meet you at the property to talk through your requirements. We will take measurements to enable us to calculate our price. Following this we will prepare a detailed quotation for all the elements that you have asked for.
The quotation is generally broken down into sections and it is grouped into categories such as Ground works,Brickwork, carpentry, electrics etc. Until we have a complete understanding of the proposed construction and the nature of the existing building (and the ground on which it stands), the quote will be specified accordingly. It is for this reason we recommend, before a final contract for the site works is agreed, that a number of pre-start issues are addressed. These are:
1. Production of architectural drawings and details.
2. Assessment of the structural loads and calculations.
3. Any issues associated with party walls or adjacent buildings.
4. A ground investigation usually comprising the excavation of trial pits.
When the above has been undertaken we will be able to give you a final quotation. In the event that you decide not to proceed, or if you elect to use another contractor, then you would only pay for the work we have carried out for you.
To enquire please fill out our contact form or call 0208 337 8060